Friday, January 13, 2012

Sketchbook Friday

Another one of my New Year's Resolutions is to start a weekly "Sketchbook Friday" feature.

I'm bad about drawing and painting only when I have to--like when I'm on deadline or creating something for a contest or other specific reason. I've got to get back to sketching daily and keeping those wheels greased, and since I'm a deadline kinda girl, I'm making myself post something from my sketchbook each week.

I know. Sounds tough, right. You must DRAW.

Anyway, last week I was volunteering at my daughter's school. I was griping about it a bit because it was taking me away from my creative time. But when I got there, I saw this precious girl:



I'm not sure what the magic age is when it ceases to be cute to show your belly, but I'm here to tell you that at age seven, it's adorbs!

And I learned a good lesson. We all need to get OUT of our head-down, nose to the paper (or computer) world and see what's out there. You never know where some wonderful inspiration will be.

Happy Friday, y'all!
sf

12 comments:

  1. Like you, I have pledged to do more drawing and painting for me. My Friday afternoons are dedicated to doing this. I hope your Sketchbook Friday is a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would pledge to to more drawing and painting, but I've been in the stickfigure stage for 49 5/8th years.
    Sincerely,
    O>-<

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this drawing! And you reminded me to pay attention to the details and the adventure going on around me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Adorbs! And I love that you noticed such a cute belly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! My husband is the same way he only draws when he has to. I'm in the process of creating him a page on my blog where he can post weekly colouring pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know this girl! I look forward to your future sketches. Great exercise. And who knows what one of them might evolve into??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a writer and I hate writing when I have nothing "assigned". If someone just tells me to write an article about something, I will get it done. But writing just to write? Blah- ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you loud and clear, great advice! I love the little belly girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I wish I could draw. Grateful for all of you that can. At 7 it's still cute. I get frustrated by 3rd grade and later. Some of them are trying so hard to look grown up and I'm like WAIT! You're still a kid!
    But yes. It's hard to balance everything and know how to use your time. Inspiration hits in the strangest places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love this sketch - so adorable! And it looks like you captured he essence of happy seven year oldhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! It's that combination of sitting at the desk and getting out there. I'm working toward the very same goal, only with writing. This morning - write. This afternoon - snowshoe. Good luck with all of it! a.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RE: your conclusion, no doubt about it. Whenever I'm getting antsy for new poem material, all it takes is a few minutes standing with notebook in hand writing down little phrases of observation and saving them for the next writing session. Sometimes the poem just pops right out then and there!

    And I all had to do was look up ...

    ReplyDelete